Ahhh, summer. Time for fruit and coconut galore! And time to make this thick and creamy, yet refreshing, Honeydew-Coconut Sorbet. Only two ingredients but an explosion of flavour!
I have a undeniable sense of nostalgia for cold treats when summertime rolls around. I have so many memories of enjoying Popsicles and frozen lemonade outside with my friends and my sister as little kids. And I used to love Frosters. They’re basically artificially flavoured + coloured slushies. Don’t even ask me why I preferred those to actual fruit smoothies. I’m not really sure anymore 😉
This sorbet is a breeze to make. It probably takes less time to whip up than a run down the street to buy my XL Froster! Well, maybe not, but it sure has a lot less ingredients (only two, in fact!), it tastes a whole lot better, and it provides healing nutrition to your body! What’s not to love??
I particularly like the balance of sugars and fats in this recipe. Coconut cream is so, so good and healing for you, and that’s because it’s full of lauric acid – SATURATED FAT! Yes, fat is good for you! And so is organic honeydew melon. The coconut helps balance the absorption of sugars in the melon so you don’t get all “sugared up” (which is totally a saying in my family).
Enjoy, my friends, with your friends, family, and neighbours! Share the REAL FOOD LOVE!
- 2 small, very ripe honeydew melons
- 1 can of coconut cream
- Special equipment: blender, ice cream machine
- Chop the honeydew into chunks, cutting off the skin. Puree in a blender until completely smooth and juice-like.
- Add the can of coconut cream and puree again.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Pour into the frozen/chilled bowl of your ice cream machine and process until thick and creamy - it will take about half an hour.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to serve in gluten-free ice cream cones or bowls. Top with shredded unsweetened coconut or eat it plain... it's delicious either way!