Believe it or not, I was inspired to make this lovely, luscious lemon curd because of a song. A little jingle I wrote, actually, while skiing a couple weekends ago. You see, I got a ukulele for Christmas, and she’s (her name is Lele) the BEST THING EVER! I cannot stop strumming and this campfire-y song came to me that I call Lemon Curd (The Pie Song). It’s not quite an ode to pie, but of course it has food references 😉 After singing about lemon curd I got a huge craving for some, so I made a batch!
This curd is different from most recipes in that it’s very lightly sweetened. In fact, I checked our well-worn Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook and their lemon curd recipe has one cup of sugar! The beauty of lemon is in its sweet-tartness, so I decided to preserve that by using 1/4 cup of local honey and some coconut milk to make it taste lovely without being sickly sweet. This recipe is also dairy-free and Paleo-friendly!
Enjoy this Coconut-Lemon Curd with gingerbread cake, as a filling for lemon squares, or drizzled over fresh berries. Stay tuned for a delicious all-natural lemony energy bite recipe coming up using this too!
Here’s a little behind-the-scenes snapshot of the photo shoot! Clarabelle was very interested. 🙂
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup local, unpasteurized honey
- 6 pasture-raised egg yolks
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Heat lemon juice and zest, coconut milk, honey, and salt in a saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in beaten egg yolks slowly and consistently.
- Turn up heat and whisk mixture constantly until it thickens. Don't let it boil!
- Remove from heat and whisk in coconut oil.
- Let cool and refrigerate in a covered glass mason jar.