Kale is such a cliche, honestly: 20-year-old hipsters drinking a stringy kale smoothie, etc, etc. Though I have a strong dislike for cliches I can’t help but be one when it comes to kale. I love it so much! I’m not a huge fan of it in smoothies (probably because my blender has issues) but give me a big bowl of kale salad dressed with guacamole or balsamic vinegar and I’ll dive in headfirst. And I have no sense of control around freshly-baked kale chips. For example, when I made these Cheesy Barbecue Kale Chips last night, I ate the whole head of kale (minus three chips, which my mom ate) in a hour.
I hope that I do not stand alone in my love for kale. But you’ll love these chips whether you’re a kale-worshiper or scorner. Coated in smoky seasonings and the secret ingredient that imparts a “cheesy” flavour, nutritional yeast, these chips are crispy bites of goodness that will make you want to eat the whole bowl.
(In a way, it’s perfect that these chips are coated with nutritional yeast to give them a cheesy taste… because kale is kinda cheesy in the first place 😉 )
- 1 head of organic kale (I used purple kale!)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (use Convection Roast setting if you have it).
- Tear the kale into medium-sized pieces, removing the stalks. Rinse the kale well under running water. If it's organic, it's going to be a bit dirty, but thankfully the kind you can wash off!
- Lay kale in a single layer on a clean dishcloth and pat it dry with another dishcloth. Dry thoroughly so the kale crisps instead of steams.
- Put the kale in a large bowl. Add the seasonings and oil, and massage with your hands until well combined.
- Lay the kale on a large baking sheet in a single layer (you will need to do about three batches.) Roast at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes, flipping once, until the kale is crisp but not browned.
- Perfect party food, but make sure you make a double batch as these go fast!